ICVA AC 2021- World Cafe 4: Life Cycle Analysis as a tool in greening humanitarian assistance
4. Life cycle analysis as a tool in greening humanitarian assistance
Organisations: BRE Trust, Shelter Cluster Community of Practice
BRE, the Global Shelter Cluster Environment Community of Practice and WWF/US have been working on a lifecycle analysis (LCA) tool for use in decision making on shelter and related humanitarian assistance. The output of the tool is provided in CO2 equivalents, which allows users to compare different shelter options as input into decision making. Operationally, the LCA tool also provides data for the low carbon indicator associated with Sphere Shelter Standard 7. The tool has several near-term benefits:
1. Helps NGOs document results in terms of the Sphere Shelter Standard 7 indicator on “low carbon” construction
2. Allows field, headquarters and funder staff to assess the CO2 equivalents of different shelter options.
3. Provides a standard way to calculating CO2 equivalents for reporting purposes (e.g., for progress in implementing a carbon neutral policy).
4. Initiates a process where other factors besides direct-cost-per- person-sheltered are brought into shelter and settlements planning and decision making.
More information can be found on the BREtrust and Global Shelter Cluster websites.
- Mr. George Foden, Humanitarian Programme Lead at BRE Trust
- Mr. Charles John Kelly, Freelance Disaster Management Consultant